Charlotte Adventure Map
Charlotte Adventure Map
Unfolded poster version available here.
The first in a new series, the Charlotte Adventure Map is a handmade labor of love to honor the Queen City — Charlotte, North Carolina. Hand-drawn and painted in watercolor and pen-and-ink, it includes our handpicked favorites of things we consider to be truly adventurous and unique, from revered Charlotte institutions to off-the-beaten path discoveries and insider secrets.
Our goal was to give you new adventures — things you didn’t already know about or may have overlooked. We wanted to lead you outside familiar territory, to bring a fresh perspective to the question of what-to-do, and to do this for everyone, from the Charlotte native to the recently-arrived transplant, to the vacationing visitor.
Each location’s icon is unique and hand-drawn in pen-and-ink with watercolor details. Listings are organized by neighborhood on the back and give you all the particulars, as well as a descriptive nudge as to why you should visit. In addition to the 140 listings, there are 26 themed itineraries, 12 road trip routes, 30 calendar events, 5 places to snap a pic of the skyline, and a list of ways to get around the city.
As a map about the heart, soul, and history of Charlotte, it was very important to us to keep the work among a group who understood and had a love for the city as much as we do. For the illustrations and watercolor, we worked with Charlotte native, Melissa Hammill. South Carolina transplant, Jessica Coate, did the layout and graphic design components. Amanda Fisher (of EDIA) hand-lettered the text. And Charlotte printer, Boingo Graphics, rolled the maps off their presses.
- the city of Charlotte with 140 unique, hand-illustrated icons
- Becoming Charlotte: a Timeline
- 140 listings detailing each location & what makes it unique, with symbols that indicate activities that are always free, sometimes free, or cash-only
- +99 additional suggestions of where to eat, drink & shop
- 26 Itineraries: themed adventures for all times of day & night
- 12 Daytrips: road trip routes no more than 1.5 hours outside the city, 1/month
- 30 calendar events
- Viewfinder: 5 picture-perfect skyline scapes
- Joyrides: getting around Crown Town
- 4" x 9" folded
- 18" x 24" unfolded
- watercolor & pen-and-ink
- Charlotte-Made: conceptualized, designed and printed in Charlotte, NC